Mark Zuckerberg says he’s “ready today” to fight Elon Musk, and that although he suggested August 26th as the date for their cage match, Musk hasn’t confirmed.
In response to another post by Musk that the fight will be “live-streamed on X” with proceeds going to charity for veterans, Zuckerberg shot back by saying they should “use a more reliable platform that can actually raise money for charity.” (Facebook and Instagram have a built-in fundraising feature while X / Twitter does not.)
In another dig at Musk, Zuckerberg responded to a Threads post asking if the fight being streamed on X / Twitter had been mutually agreed upon. “More like ‘funding secured,’” Zuckerberg responded — a reference to Musk’s tweet about taking Tesla private that got him sued by investors for being untrue.
The Meta CEO also said he loves the sport and “will continue competing with people who train no matter what happens here.”
After initially agreeing to Musk’s fight challenge in June, Zuckerberg told Meta employees at the end of July that he wasn’t certain if the fight would happen. Musk started posting about the fight again this weekend after sharing a video of him lifting weights in the X office during a meeting. “If the fight is short, I probably win,” he said in a post on Sunday. “If long, he may win on endurance.”
A spokesperson for Meta declined to comment beyond Zuckerberg’s posts. X / Twitter doesn’t have a press department. We’ve also reached out to a spokesperson for the UFC’s Dana White, who has been coordinating the fight between Zuckerberg and Musk.
Update August 6th, 7:45PM ET: Added more details about Zuckerberg’s response on Threads and Musk’s recent posts about the proposed cage match.