There are so many daily word games and clones of websites such as Wordle out there that it can seem impossible to find something original and engaging to add to the roster of daily short word games. Enter Connections, a word association game from The New York Times that challenges players to try something new in the word game genre. This guide explains what Connections is, how to play it, and the answer for each day.
How to Play Connections
Connections is a word association game that requires players to match four words on a grid of sixteen together into four groups. Players must select the four words they believe fit together, then click the ‘Submit’ button. The game will inform the player if they’re correct by rearranging the words into a colored block at the top of the screen. If, however, the player is incorrect, the words will vibrate, and players will lose one of their four lives. If a player runs out of lives, they’ll fail the game for that day but will still see the answers. Groups of answers are arranged by color according to their difficulty, going from yellow as the easiest through green and blue, then purple as the trickiest. The only place fans can play Connections is the official website via The New York Times.
What is Today’s Connections Answer?
In this section, we’ve got the answer for today’s Connections puzzle (July 22, 2023) and have listed every puzzle we’ve covered in the past week or so in the list below. Players should use the list below to get an idea of what the latest word associations might be, giving them a leg up on the competition in the future.
Connections Answer for August 11, 2023 (#61)
See above for the complete solution to Connections Puzzle #61 for August 11, 2023. This one was hard as nails and, as far as we’re concerned, impossible to complete. We could not work any of the connections out for the life of us. See below for a list of all the groups required for the solution.
- Group 1 – Theoretical Physicists: EINSTEIN, FEYNMAN, HAWKING, OPPENHEIMER
- Group 2 – Talent: FACULTY, FLAIR, GENIUS, GIFT
- Group 3 – Australian Terms: BARBIE, BUSH, CRIKEY, MATE
- Group 4 – ___ Point: MATCH, MOOT, SELLING, WEST
Connections Answer for August 10, 2023 (#60)
See above for the answer to Connections Puzzle #60 for August 10, 2023. This one was tough and we didn’t get a single group together correctly. See below for all the groups required to solve this Connections Puzzle.
- Group 1 – Horror Franchises: PURGE, RING, SAW, SCREAM
- Group 2 – Sports Venues: COURT, DIAMOND, FIELD, RINK
- Group 3 – Make Happy: CHARM, DELIGHT, PLEASE, TICKLE
- Group 4 – Jewelry: ANKLET, BANGLE, BROOCH, PENDANT
Connections Answer for August 9, 2023 (#59)
See above for the solution to Connections Puzzle #59 for August 9, 2023. This one was incredibly easy to solve and gave us no trouble at all. We got all of the connections with only one incorrect answer. See below for a list of every group required.
- Group 1 – Celestial Objects: ASTEROID, COMET, MOON, PLANET
- Group 2 – Newspapers: GLOBE, JOURNAL, POST, SUN
- Group 3 – Unspecified Quantities: FEW, HANDFUL, SEVERAL, SOME
- Group 4 – Fruit Homophones: LYME, MELLOW, PAIR, PLUMB
Connections Answer for August 8, 2023 (#58)
See above for the complete solution for Connections Puzzle #58 for August 8, 2023. We struggled with this puzzle but looking back there’s really no need to have. It’s incredibly simple in hindsight, but we couldn’t work out the connections at the time. See below for a list of all the groups required to solve it.
- Group 1 – Fish: CHAR, EEL, PERCH, SHARK
- Group 2 – Arachnids: MITE, SCORPION, SPIDER, TICK
- Group 3 – Superheroes: BLACK WIDOW, BLADE, FLASH, STORM
- Group 4 – MTV Shows: CATFISH, CRIBS, JACKASS, STATE
Connections Answer for August 7, 2023 (#57)
See above for the complete solution to Connections Puzzle #57 for August 7, 2023. This one was really difficult. We only guessed one group, and the rest evaded us until our luck had run out. See below for a list of every group required for the solution.
- Group 1 – Movie Genres: HORROR, MUSICAL, ROMANCE, WESTERN
- Group 2 – Patterns: HOUNDSTOOTH, PAISLEY, PLAID, STRIPES
- Group 3 – Synonyms for Falsehood: FIB, FICTION, LIE, TALE
- Group 4 – Candy Pieces: DOT, GOOBER, KISS, WHOOPER
Connections Answer for August 6, 2023 (#56)
See above for the solution to Connections Puzzle #56 for August 6, 2023. This one was incredibly difficult, we didn’t get any of the groups. The dance one completely threw us, and we were so confused we missed one we should have gotten easily, the arcade games. See below for all the groups required to solve today’s puzzle.
- Group 1 – Touchscreen Gestures: PINCH, SPREAD, SWIPE, TAP
- Group 2 – Classic Arcade Games: ASTEROIDS, BREAKOUT, FROGGER, PONG
- Group 3 – Dances: HUSTLE, SALSA, SWING, TANGO
- Group 4 – Rappers Minus Numbers: CENT, CHAINZ, PAC, SAVAGE
Connections Answer for August 5, 2023 (#55)
- Group 1 – Classic Toys: BLOCKS, DOLL, TOP, YO-YO
- Group 2 – Words With Three G’s: BAGGAGE, ENGGNOG, GIGGLE, LEGGINGS
- Group 3 – Shakespeare Characters: DUNCAN, JULIET, PUCK, VIOLA
- Group 4 – ___ Stick: FISH, HOCKEY, MEMORY, SELFIE
Why is Connections in Beta?
At the time of writing, Connections is in beta on The New York Times website. This means it’s not final and subject to change, though we suspect the formula will remain close to what we’ve explained above. The thing that’s likely to be in beta is the difficulty since the development team will be trying to work out a way to automate the puzzles without them being too easy or too challenging for players.